Analysis of the applicability and relevance of hydrogen within the gas networks and “Power to Gas” technologies in Lithuania
Key information about the project:
Demand. Hydrogen solves the problem of green electricity storage and balancing. Given the growing production of electricity from renewable energy sources, the accumulation of surplus energy within the network, and the fluctuations in production and consumption, it is necessary to ensure a stable and balanced energy system. When excess energy is converted into green hydrogen and supplied to the gas system, the energy can be stored in the form of gas and, when needed, green electricity or thermal energy can be produced from or used in other sectors, such as transport. Therefore, in order to accelerate the use of hydrogen in the energy sector, the Lithuanian gas transmission system operator “Amber Grid” analyses the possibilities to adapt the Lithuanian gas transmission system to the transportation of green gas, including hydrogen.
Aim. To analyse the possibilities of the application of Power-to-Gas (P2G) technologies and the supply of hydrogen to the gas networks, and, in cooperation with power TSO “Litgrid” and EPSO-G while preparing the study RAIDA 2050, to select the solutions, commercial and technological models that would bring the greatest technological and economic benefits to the Lithuanian market.
Objectives achieved over the duration of the project:
- Possible sources for the financing of the P2G and H2 projects have been identified;
- Market investigation regarding the suppliers, manufacturers, users of H2, as well as suppliers of relevant equipment, has been carried out;
- Cooperation with the Latvian, Estonian, Finnish and Polish gas transmission system operators regarding the question of green gas has been established;
- Amendment of the legislation concerning the requirements for the quality of natural gas has been initiated, thus authorising the possibility of supplying H2 to the transmission system;
- While seeking to implement the first regional P2G project, cooperation with partners has been established;
- Contribution was made to the establishment of the Lithuanian Hydrogen Platform.
Period of implementation: 2019-2020.
More information about the project:
‘The green energy objectives adopted by Lithuania encourage us to open up our potential related to engineering, market knowledge and infrastructure to this form of renewable energy, as well as to develop and implement the ideas concerning the production, transportation and establishment of the market of green hydrogen. Environmentally friendly green hydrogen can be produced using electricity generated from renewable sources. The European countries, including Lithuania, are developing offshore wind farms, thus, if we adopt the right decisions, we can become green hydrogen producers within the next ten years. Given all of this, we are planning to adapt the country’s gas transmission system to the transportation of hydrogen. This transformation, which is going to decide the future of Lithuanian energy, requires close cooperation between scientists, public authorities, energy enterprises, equipment producers and consumers, in order to fully exploit the possibilities that are now opening up,’ says Nemunas Biknius, CEO of “Amber Grid”.